If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy summer pickle is a smart way to use up on-their-way-out berries. The final result is a jar full of very sweet, pleasantly tart, plump little berries, which you can enjoy on salads, serve alongside cheese spreads, scoop onto seasonal crostini, or use as a substitute for fresh berries in your favorite summer desserts. - Angela Brown
Food52 Review: WHO: Angela Brown is a freelance food and lifestyle writer, and the co-owner of Mayhem & Stout sandwich shop in NYC.
WHAT: A makeover for your not-so-hot blueberries.
HOW: Make a brine by boiling together vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, and rosemary. Pour this mixture into a jar filled with blueberries, then start brainstorming creative ways to use these tart, savory treats.
WHY WE LOVE IT: If you think of blueberries as one-dimensional, this recipe will change that. With the help of a sour brine, droopy blueberries morph into tangy, herbal flavor bombs that will make your jams, pies, and shrubs extraordinary. - The Editors
Makes 1 pint of pickled berries
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns. and rosemary to a small saucepan and bring to the mixture a boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the blueberries and add them to a clean glass jar.
- Then, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to slightly cool, about five minutes.
- Pour the brine over the blueberries, being sure to cover the fruit entirely. Allow everything to cool to room temperature. When kept covered and stored in the refrigerator, the blueberries will keep for about 1 week.
- Your Best Berry Recipe Contest Finalist!
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.