If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mille-Feuille means a thousand layers. The use of balsamic vinegar accentuates the berry flavours while balancing the sweetness of the dish. A simple dessert that looks stunning and fantastic for dinner parties. - Tim Ong
Pastry Discs and Custard
- 1 packet Filo Pastry
- 1 piece egg white
- 150 milliliters Clarified Butter
- 300 milliliters milk
- 1 piece lemon, zest
- 60 grams sugar
- 20 grams flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on a clean surface and brush half of it with egg white. Sprinkle with icing sugar and then fold the pastry in half. Repeat two more times. Using a circle cookie cutter of about 8cm punch out as many holes as possible. Repeat with extra pastry till you have 12 discs.
- In a frying pan heat the clarified butter to a medium heat and fry the discs until golden brown. Remove onto kitchen paper and set aside.
- Once the milk is boiling, strain the milk into the egg mixture and mix till it combines. Return to the pot and bring to a simmer while continuously stirring for two minutes.
- Remove custard from pot and grate in fresh lemon zest, mix and cover with plastic wrap against the custard to prevent it from forming a skin
Wild berry compote
- 200 grams wild berries (frozen is fine)
- 100 grams sugar
- 20 grams unsalted butter
- 1 splash balsamic vinegar
- For the compote, in a hot frying pan, caramelise the sugar to a light blonde, add the butter and loosen with a little bit of water if needed.
- Add the berries and toss through the caramel. Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and remove from the pan.
- To assemble, place the custard into a piping bag and place a small dot in the middle of the plate. Top with a pastry disc, this prevents the disc from sliding around. Place a spoon of the berry mixture on top of the disc and cover with custard. Place another pastry on top and repeat until you have a stack of 3 pastry discs. Garnish with icing sugar, sauce and berries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
Your Favorite Items for a Wedding Registry
Wedding season approaches.
Wedding registry must haves.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wildcard Winner Recap
Do you haiku?