If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was initially one of those emergency weeknight meals, a 'delicious + delicious = delicious' throw-together with good things from the pantry. Fresh lemon and cilantro elevate this quick soup into something special and no one needs to know the pantry part. My then-young daughter named it 'Sunset Soup' because 'it tastes like the sunset when it's all red and yellow' and it is a family favorite THIS IS SARA'S MOM--I JUST REALIZED I WAS POSTING FROM HER ACCOUNT--OOPS! - Sara
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 -1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 (16 ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving, optional
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir one minute.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices and boil 5 minutes, until slightly reduced.
- Add the chickpeas, potato, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.
- For a slightly thicker consistency, smash some of the chickpeas with the back of a spoon.
- Serve the soup, garnishing each portion with a lemon wedge and cilantro sprig.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup