If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe after I had a watermelon sitting on my counter for a week and felt pressure to find a use for it. Picking through my fruit selection, I added what I had available and then decided to freeze the fruit mixture, almost to make a granita. Adding rum and a sparkling lemonade to the slushiness of the recipe caused one of my friends to remark that it was “summertime in a glass.” Other types of fruit could be added or substituted. Likewise, substituting vodka for the rum has also been a hit. - Zoomlo
Serves 3-4 qts.
Using a blender or food processor, combine the following
- 1 small to medium seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- 1 fresh peach, sliced
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
Then to the remaining fruit mixture, add
- Juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes
- 1 tablespoon sugar (use more if you like it sweeter)
- Pour fruit mixture into smaller plastic containers, capable of freezing. Depending on the size of the watermelon, I can usually freeze about 3-4 quarts of the mixture.
- About an hour or so before I’m ready to enjoy “summertime,” I set it out on the counter to soften a bit and ease service.
- When ready to serve, add ice, 1-2 oz of rum or vodka and about ½ cup of the fruit mixture to a glass. Fill remainder of glass with a sparkling lemonade or citrus soda.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Watermelon Recipe