Author Notes: I created this recipe after I had a watermelon sitting on my counter for a week and felt pressure to find a use for it. Picking through my fruit selection, I added what I had available and then decided to freeze the fruit mixture, almost to make a granita. Adding rum and a sparkling lemonade to the slushiness of the recipe caused one of my friends to remark that it was “summertime in a glass.” Other types of fruit could be added or substituted. Likewise, substituting vodka for the rum has also been a hit. - Zoomlo
Serves 3-4 qts.
Using a blender or food processor, combine the following
- 1 small to medium seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- 1 fresh peach, sliced
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
Then to the remaining fruit mixture, add
- Juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes
- 1 tablespoon sugar (use more if you like it sweeter)
- Pour fruit mixture into smaller plastic containers, capable of freezing. Depending on the size of the watermelon, I can usually freeze about 3-4 quarts of the mixture.
- About an hour or so before I’m ready to enjoy “summertime,” I set it out on the counter to soften a bit and ease service.
- When ready to serve, add ice, 1-2 oz of rum or vodka and about ½ cup of the fruit mixture to a glass. Fill remainder of glass with a sparkling lemonade or citrus soda.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Watermelon Recipe