Author Notes: I love cheese danish because the cheese is a lovely tart contrast to the sweet pastry. How wonderful would it be to have an entire pan of the stuff? This is brightened up with fresh orange zest and a lively orange sauce. - AmyW
Serves 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 large loaf King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread, cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup no-pulp orange juice
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons orange liquor, such as Cointreau
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together first five ingredients in a bowl large enough to accommodate the bread and liquid.
- Add bread to the liquid, pressing slightly so that all the bread gets wet. Let soak, gently folding over if top layer starts to dry.
- In another mixing bowl, using hand or stand mixer on medium speed, blend cream cheese and sugar until well combined.
- Add yolks one at a time to cheese mixture, blending thoroughly after each addition.
- Add ricotta, vanilla and salt, blend well but don't whip.
- Prepare a 9X13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Layer half the bread mixture on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread cream cheese mixture as next layer, until about 1 inch from edge of pan. It's OK if the cheese is thicker in some spots than in others.
- Layer rest of bread mixture on top of cream cheese, evenly pouring any liquid left in the bowl. Be careful not to smoosh the bread around so as to not shift the cheese layer below.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, checking after 30. Pudding should be golden brown on top and soft-firm to the touch, not squishy.
- While pudding bakes, combine sauce ingredients in a sauce pan over medium low. Stir as marmalade melts and ingredients combine. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid reduces a little and coats back of spoon. Keep warm.
- Let pudding cool a little, then serve warm in a bowl with a drizzle of sauce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Bread Pudding (Sweet, not Savory)