If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love clay pot cooking as it creates a very tender, succulent, bird. You soak the clay pot in water over night (or for at least an hour) then roast it, covered for a little over an hour; then uncover it and cook for an additional 20 mins or so to brown the skin. (You could also cut the chicken up, cover it with liquid and ingredients and cook the bird on a lower heat (about 325 degrees) for 2 hours or so and it would be juicy and delicious as well and you would not need to remove the top to crisp the skin.) The result is a juicy aromatic bird. (I used a Romertopf clay pot) - coffeefoodwritergirl
- 1 4-5 pound chicken (preferable organic)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter – softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano – chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary – chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more sea salt for sprinkling on and in bird
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper + more pepper for sprinkling on and in bird
- 3 large onions – cut in quarters
- 1 lemon – cut in halves or quarters
- ½ lemon – for squeezing juice over top
- ½ cup white wine
- Ahead of time or the night before: Place clay pot and lid in enough water to cover and let soak overnight or for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix butter, herbs, one teaspoon sea salt and one teaspoon fresh ground pepper in small bowl. Thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- Wash and dry bird thoroughly. Very gently separate the skin over the breast from the meat underneath (you may need a sharp paring knife to get this started and then just gently slide your hand underneath to separate). Place one half of butter mixture on each side of breast; spreading as evenly as possible to cover entire breast portion.
- Sprinkle cavity and outside of bird generously with salt and pepper. Place a few onions and one lemon cut in half (or fourths) inside bird. Sprinkle rest of onions on top of and around bird. Pour white wine over onions and around bird. Squeeze juice of one half lemon over bird.
- Place top on clay pot and roast in oven for one hour. Remove lid and baste bird generously. Roast for about 20 mins. more until skin is golden and bird is cooked but not dry
- Serve directly from pot and spoon warm juices over top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken
Take Some Time For Yourself
Indulge in a luxe dinner tonight.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Grilled Brie Sandwiches
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Dumplings, No Recipe Required