If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love sweet, sour, fresh and citrusy....all together. This week's 'bag' is right up my street! The ice-cream does not require any churning and is easy to put together in minutes. The feta cheese doesn't overpower it either because it is pressed through a potato ricer to give short noodles, which are then stirred in to a creamy mixture. And the mint? Well, you could make a mint sugar topping or a mint syrup and voila - ready in minutes....to be frozen! - Kitchen Butterfly
- 3 Blood oranges
- 1/2 cup Icing/Confectioner's sugar + 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 175g Double Cream or 150g Creme fraiche+ 3 tablespoon single cream
- 50g Feta cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons mint
- 1 teaspoon water
- Rinse the blood oranges and carefully cut 2 of the 3 into two semi-circular halves. Then using a knife, cut round the edge of the orange halves and try your best to scoop out the inside – again. Reserve the pulp and catch as much of the juice as possible.
- Using a zester, remove the zest from the last blood orange.
- From the reserved pulp, squeeze out the juice and pass it through a sieve. You'll need a quarter cup of juice.
- In a bowl, whisk the blood orange juice, half of the zest and 1/2 cup of icing sugar together till combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the double cream/creme fraiche (if using the creme fraiche mixture, whisk it till it loosens a bit) and then add the juice and icing sugar mixture and whisk till well combined.
- Using a ricer, pass the feta cheese through it and add the tiny feta noodles into the creme fraiche mixture, combining with a spatula. Spoon the mixture into the blood orange cups.
- Pound the mint leaves in a mortar and combine with the teaspoon of icing sugar and a teaspoon of water. Stir well and top/swirl some into the ice cream
- Place in a large container (with a lid) and cover with a strip of foil to prevent freezer burn. Place the lid on and freeze for 3 - 4 hours. Bring to room temperature for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.