Author Notes: I've been posting the dinners we cook at home together at the end of the day after a long day of work to show that busy working families can cook every night together...and cook healthy, fresh meals. This is my favorite 15-Minute Healthy Work-Night Meal and when we cook it together, it is even easier and more fun. - GirlCook
Layered Panko Chicken
- 4 Chicken or turkey cutlets, pounded to 1/4" thickness
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cups Panko crumbs (wheat Panko is also great)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Mesclunor spinach, fresh
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 ounce High-quality Roquefort or bleu cheese (you'll use less if you use a great quality cheese!)
- 1/4 cup Vinaigrette (see below)
- 1/4 fresh lime
- Coarse salt (French Fleur de Sel is awesome here, very light and delicious)
- 1. Dip cutlets in the beaten egg and dredge in the Panko crumbs.
- 2. Heat olive oil on medium flame in large non-stick skillet and add the cutlets, cook for 7 minutes on each side or until they reach 165 degrees. (Variation: these cutlets can be baked in an oven if you'd rather not saute them, they'll take a little longer--350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until they reach 165 degrees)
- 3. Drain on paper towel lined plate when done
- 4. Now layer the ingredients this way (or whatever you choose): Note: You can swap ingredients you have on hand. This combination is my favorite, it has so many wonderful tastes and textures: creamy, crunchy, salty, sweet, pungent, smooth...once you have it, you'll make it over and over:
- Turkey or chicken cutlet Greens Chopped tomato Diced avocado 4-5 bits bleu cheese Drizzle of vinaigrette to taste Splash of lime Sprinkle of coarse salt
- We served this with oranges and roasted almonds for dessert (come to think of it, this would be great sprinkled with some chopped almonds).
Vinaigrette: I love the combination of champagne vinegar and walnut oil but any vinaigrette will be great with this dish.
- 3 tablespoons Champage Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Walnut Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Honey
- 1. Put vinegar in small bowl and pour oil in slowly while whisking constantly which will emulsify the dressing. Whisk in remaining ingredients.