If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love carpaccio of beef.....and this could very well become the veggie option. Thin rounds of blood orange gelee, topped with a dressed salad, chopped mint and crumbled feta. Sweet, sour, fresh and clean! - Kitchen Butterfly
- 2 cups blood orange juice (reserve 3-4 tablespoons for the dressing)
- 2 teaspoons unflavoured gelatine powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups mixed green salad leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (wholegrain) mustard
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 50 - 100g crumbled feta cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional)
- Grease an 11 & 7 inch pan lightly with oil. In a bowl, whisk half of the orange juice with the gelatine till smooth and well combined. Set aside for five minutes to soften.
- Then heat the sugar and water till dissolved and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the juice-gelatine mixture. Whisk/stir again well. Add the remaining half cup of juice and a pinch of cayenne, (if using). Whisk well to combine.Pour the mixture into the greased pan and refrigerate till set.
- Make the salad dressing by combining the mustard, mayonnaise, olive oil and blood orange juice. Taste and season with some cayenne pepper, if you like.
- Plating this per person is easier than serving in a large bowl. If you want to serve in a large bowl though, slice the gelee into small pieces and sprinkle them on the leaves. Then follow Step 7 and 8
- Otherwise, using a round cookie cutter (3 inch diameter/smaller), cut out blood orange carpaccios and place one or two on each plate.
- Place some salad on top of the 'carpaccio'. Sprinkle some chopped mint and crumbled feta on top. Drizzle some dressing over the salad but also spoon some unto the plate.
- Garnish with wedges of blood orange and some whole mint leaves
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Blood Oranges, Feta and Mint
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends
Genius, explained at last.
Books We Love
My New Roots, by Sarah Britton
Style with a breeze.