If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dinner in a hurry. No time to stop and think. All that sat in my head was coconut rice with something hot, something with chilies. And so Saag chicken stew was born, inspired by a Mutton version in Hot! Hot! Hot! —Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 3 cardamom pods, pounded to split open (don’t let the seeds get away)
- 1 whole cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into blocks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 100ml greek or turkish yoghurt (though plain or soy yoghurt would do)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 150 ml Water
- 300 g spinach (I used frozen)
- 1 coriander cube or 2 tablespoons chopped coriander/cilantro
- 2 -3 whole chilies (to taste), split
- Salt to taste
- Put oil and butter in a large pan on low – medium heat. Once melted, add onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon. Stir and let them simmer gently till their aroma starts to surround you
- Add chopped chicken and potatoes. Let cook for a few minutes then add yoghurt and stir well to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, water, spinach and cilantro (fresh or frozen). Stir well and salt.
- Add chilies, to taste. Stir well and simmer covered for 1/2 an hour, checking and stirring regularly.
- When it was ready, crush some (not all) of the potatoes so you end up with a nice thick sauce.
- Perfect with Coconut rice, Banana-yoghurt dip (Banana mashed with yoghurt) and Masala chai. Tastes even better the morning after....
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
How to Eat Cookies for Breakfast
Well, cookie butter that is
Eat cookies for breakfast.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
It's time to travel.
The sauce savior.
Put cake on a pedestal.