If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but it's my mom's. I've honestly never had a meatloaf I didn't like, but this one is definitely my favorite. The added sausage meat means it's not dry, but freeing it from a loaf pan cuts down on its greasiness. I've made it with ground turkey, ground beef, or the classic "meatloaf combo", but I think my favorite combo is ground beef and turkey sausage. Chopping the vegetables finely is crucial to a loaf that holds together. - Savour
- 2 pieces sandwich bread (white or whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 pieces celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound meat from sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grate or cut sandwich bread into fine crumbs.
- Soak crumbs in milk. Add meats, eggs, vegetables and seasonings (except ketchup), mix well. (I usually use my hands for this.)
- In a roasting pan lined with tin foil, form the meat into two roughly oblong loaves and top with ketchup.
- Add 1/2 inch of boiling water to the bottom of the pan (this is optional, but makes cleanup MUCH easier).
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until loaves are firm to the touch.
- Serve hot with extra ketchup, or let cool and make meatloaf sandwiches on sourdough bread with ketchup.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatloaf
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.