If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a recipe in Bon Appetit, this meatloaf has become a staple in my home. Bison has become more readily available in local stores and farmers markets. It is my new favorite source of lean, healthy protein and I substitute it in almost all of my recipes that call for lean beaf. I made this meatloaf for my fiance while he was studying for exams. He called it his lucky meatloaf because he ate leftovers the morning of his bar exam and passed! This meatloaf is moist and flavorful from the red onions, mushrooms, and herbs. You will never eat a traditional meatloaf again! —Plum Pie
Serves 4 (or 2 with leftovers)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1.5 pounds ground bison
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan. Saute diced mushrooms and onions until onions are soft and mushrooms are browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat and add chopped thyme and sage. Cool slightly.
- Combine cooled mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 T. tomato paste, milk, egg, 1/2 T. crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Mix buffalo with meatloaf base mixture. Mix until just combined. Form into a loaf on a sheet pan.
- Roast meatloaf in oven for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 T. tomato paste, and 1/2 T. red pepper flakes. After the meatloaf has been baking for 30 minutes, pour tomato sauce evenly over top of loaf.
- Roast the meatloaf an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms