Author Notes: This is one of my mom's old standards. It is the kind of thing you make a big batch of and eat for lunch or dinner or take on a picnic. I love the addition of candied ginger. It takes the place of raisins and adds a little zing. - Brita
- 3 boneless /skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 scallions diced finely (pale green parts only)
- 1/4 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons madras curry powder
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. In a medium stock pot bring chicken stock and 3 cups water to a boil. Add chicken and poach until cooked through. (about 10 minutes) Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Discard poaching liquid or reserve for another use.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine mayo, yogurt, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper, ginger and curry powder and mix thoroughly.
- After chicken has cooled chop or shred by hand into small pieces. Add to the yogurt mixture along with remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
- Serve cold on a bed of greens. (I like watercress or spinach) Or make into sandwiches and enjoy!