If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love me some lavender!! Lavender and garlic go wonderfully with lamb, coupled with weensey spring veggies like peas with mint, grilled ramps, delicate asparagus, tiny favas...you name it, couple of steamed new potatoes and a lovely rose it makes me feel oh so Frenchcountryside like. You can use any cut of lamb, a rack would be lovely, as would a leg, but chunks of shoulder work too if your budget does not permit luxuries at the moment. I can find truly wonderful local lamb in affordable "Kabob packets" at our Fair Food Farmstand. This recipe is for grilled Kabobs but feel free to use it as for grilled chops, rack, roast shoulder or with a leg. Ok as of today (3/24) got a great deal on boneless tied leg and made une petite lamb roast for me and my sweetie... the pics are attached ( with Amanda's crispy smooshed potatoes) —Aliwaks
Food52 Review: The spice mix is very interesting. The lavender is very strong -- it's definitely not something that everyone is going to love. I'd still recommend toning it down, but the spice from the red pepper flakes and all garlic and herbs give it some dimension. I did kebobs on rosemary sprigs (on my grill pan, finished in the oven). I like that Aliwaks gives you the freedom to do it with whatever cut you want. I think chops would be very lovely. - Stephanie —The Editors
- 1/2 cup Dried organic lavender buds
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup Olive oil, nice olive oil like your 2nd best
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or aleppo pepper
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Citrus zest, I like grapefruit but lemon, orange or lime works too
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cracked Black pepper
- 4 pounds Lamb Pieces/Cubes or 3-4 lamb chops per person, depending on the size
- 4 BIG Sturdy Rosemary Branches stripped except for the top few fronds (optional) or 1 big rosemary sprig intact
- Combine everything but the lamb and additional rosemary branches in the blender or food processor and puree till it becomes a paste
- Smear it all over the lamb, put in a baggie and let marinate at least 1 day up to 3, smoosh the bag around, turn it upside down each time you go in the fridge (or every few times if you are especially snacky)
- For stunning kabobs: Poke a hole through each piece of lamb with a skewer, them thread the lamb on to a sturdy rosemary branch, If you try to just poke the rosemary through the lamb they could break, which can be disappointing.
- Grill over medium/high heat to your desired temp, I prefer medium rare. If making Chops you can lay a rosemary branch over them as the grill to get the same smoky greenness. I cook it until the internal temp reaches 130-135.
- If you are not ready to cook outside yet, preheat grill pan or cast iron pan , add drop of olive oil & whole rosemary sprig, sear lamb on each side till brown and them finish in the oven/
- Serve with tiny steamed new potatoes sprinkled with chives and baby peas with mint, tarragon and cream.
Is Your Cilantro Contaminated?
Here's what we know
Is Your Cilantro Contaminated?
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Do this for better cold brew.