If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Decadent and delicious, yet free of all dairy, this frozen coconut custard pleases children and adults. Feel free to make a double batch to feed a larger crowd. If you are nervous about making the caramel, you can skip that step and just heat the sugar with the coconut milk on the stove until boiling, then proceed with tempering the eggs at step 4- it will still be great. - WinnieAb
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat sugar with water in a heavy 1 qt saucepan on the stove, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Cook 5-6 more minutes over medium heat (without stirring) until the syrup turns amber and begins to caramelize (watch carefully so that it does not burn). Remove the pan from the heat.
- Being very careful to avoid burning yourself (wear oven mitts!), add 1/2 cup of the coconut milk to the caramelized sugar. Stir with the wooden spoon until smooth (if the caramel hardens up, put the pot back over low heat until the sugar melts again). Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with salt and the rest of the coconut milk.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk/sugar mixture to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk well.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the coconut caramel and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon (this should take about 5 minutes). Do not allow the custard to boil. Add the vanilla, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.
- Chill the custard in an ice bath or cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour the cooled custard into your ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.