If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I usually buy the leanest cuts of pork like pork loin. So my recipes usually involve olive oil; olive oil adding "fat" to the meat. Since pork shoulder comes with lots of its own fat, I decided to design a recipe which adds flavor without adding more fat. My garden is laden with oranges and blood oranges. I also used an orange licquor and good quality orange marmalade to give the basting sauce a little sweetness and I used some hot red peppers for a little kick. Coffee adds a little bitterness with a mocha finish. —dymnyno
Serves 1 5 pound pork shoulder roast
- 1 5 pound pork shoulder roast (bone in)
- 1 tablespoon instant expresso coffee
- 3 whole dried red chile peppers (1 1/2 " long) The extensive cooking dulls the high heat of the peppers.
- 4 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon orange licquer(I used Cointreau)
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- THE LACQUER: In a mortor add sea salt, coffee, peppers, and garlic and make a paste using a pestle.
- Add the tarragon and continue to blend into the paste with the pestle.
- Add the orange marmalade, orange licquor and orange juice to the paste and blend with the pestle.
- THE PIG: Score the fat side both directions through the fat but not into the flesh.
- Then, paint the lacquer (using a pastry brush or paint brush) over the entire roast.
- Place on a wire roast holder or cake rack fat side up and place in a large roasting pan.
- Place the roast in a oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Re apply the lacquer every 40 minutes.
- After 2 hours, tent the roast with a piece of tinfoil. (just the top, not the sides of the roast) You must tent before this time if the meat is becoming too browned.
- After 5 hours I checked the temperature of the roast (170 degrees) and removed it from the oven.
- Let the roast rest for 10 to 15 minutes.Then serve. The only condiment I used is fresh chopped tarragon sprinkled over the meat and a little sea salt.
- THE PARTICULARS: I roasted the pork in a vaulted gas La Cornue oven, I used Medaglia D' Oro coffee, Bonne Maman orange marmalade and Cointreau orange licquor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roasted Pork Shoulder
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.