Author Notes: This recipe began years ago in a funny apartment where I found a copy of the 1941 edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It's been through a few of my own editions (additions?), and I think it's a keeper. - Sandy
Makes 60+ drop cookies
- 3/4 cups regular salted butter at room temp.
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon good vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (optional - reserve white)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash table salt
- 3 cups flour (I prefer King Arthur and think it makes a difference.)
- extra granulated sugar
- 1 pinch finely grated lime rind - only the green part
- Beat sugar, egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla into the soft butter thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and grated lime.
- Blend the two mixtures together and mix well (I just use a table fork).
- Drop from the tip of a spoon about 1 inch apart on lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- If you'd like -- dip a fork in the optional egg white, lightly whisked, and slightly flatten each cookie.
- Lightly sprinkle each cookie with the extra granulated sugar (the egg white makes it stick better).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges.
- Let cool a little bit on a wire rack, or brown paper, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie