If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe began years ago in a funny apartment where I found a copy of the 1941 edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It's been through a few of my own editions (additions?), and I think it's a keeper. - Sandy
Makes 60+ drop cookies
- 3/4 cups regular salted butter at room temp.
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon good vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (optional - reserve white)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash table salt
- 3 cups flour (I prefer King Arthur and think it makes a difference.)
- extra granulated sugar
- 1 pinch finely grated lime rind - only the green part
- Beat sugar, egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla into the soft butter thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and grated lime.
- Blend the two mixtures together and mix well (I just use a table fork).
- Drop from the tip of a spoon about 1 inch apart on lightly buttered cookie sheet.
- If you'd like -- dip a fork in the optional egg white, lightly whisked, and slightly flatten each cookie.
- Lightly sprinkle each cookie with the extra granulated sugar (the egg white makes it stick better).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges.
- Let cool a little bit on a wire rack, or brown paper, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie