If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: So I had a bunch of almond flour left from my last weeks failed attempts to make almond Macaroons and with a potluck to go to and very little in the fridge I had to get creative. I started off with ok hmmmm i can use my leftover almond flour and home made almond paste to make a cake. Did that and it looked kinda dry and boring so ummmm no what ... oh i know i have some frozen blueberries in the freezer, i can make a blueberry sauce to put on the cake. The sauce ended up going in between the cake and it still looked kinda dry. Ooooohhh wait i had some leftover rum from the mojitos i made for a party (you know you are getting old when you have left over alcohol). The rum sauce was a perfect finish! Ta-daaa! Blueberry Almond Rum Cake! - amreen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond paste at room temp
- 6 eggs at room temp
- 10 ounces butter at room temp
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup white flour
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rum
- Pre-Heat the oven to 325 degrees
- In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer combine the sugar and the almond paste.
- Blend in the butter and vanilla until light and creamy.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Combine this with the eggs, butter and almond paste.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan with butter and pour in cake mix.
- Bake for 45 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking/cooling make the blueberry and rum sauces.
- In a small sauce pan bring 1/2 cup water to boil. Add the 1/2 cup sugar and the cup of blueberries (you can use mixed berries as well) and simmer for about 8 minutes. Let cool.
- In another small sauce pan bring 1/4 cup water to boil. Add the 1/2 cup of sugar and the 1/4 cup of butter. Let this all dissolve and turn of the heat. Add the 1/4 cup of rum.
- Once the cake has cooled gently cut it in half lengthwise. Spoon the blueberry sauce evenly on the bottom half. Replace the top and spoon the rum sauce evenly over the top. Yum Yum Yum!!!
- Note: I made the almond paste at home by boiling 1/2 cup water and adding 2 cups sugar and 2 cups almond flour (from Trader Joes ... in the nut section ... go figure). Just boil it down until the paste pulls away from the pan. I added a lil rosewater just for fun ... and this was waaaaay cheaper than buying almond paste ... and way funnner!
- Note #2: The cake recipe was adapted from here http://www.davidlebovitz.com/recipes/almond_cake.html
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.