If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother cut this recipe out of the local paper and sent it to me when I was young and poor. Those were the days when I baked my own bread, made yogurt, grew sprouts and the brownies included you-know-what. This is a perfect bread recipe for the novice baker. After a long absence, I remade friends with yeast today. My loaves were not very photogenic - a little scorched - but I think I'll try to make this more of a habit. —Lizthechef
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 and 1/2 cups unbleached flour, divided use
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 packets active dry yeast
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- In medium saucepan, heat first three ingredients until warm - 110 to 115 degrees. In large bowl, combine warm liquid, 2 cups of the unbleached flour, honey, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and yeast.
- Beat 4 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in whole wheat flour, oats and remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of unbleached flour. On well-floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl and cover with dish towel. Let rise in warm place 25 minutes.
- Grease two loaf pans. Punch down dough; divide and shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased pans. Brush with oil or melted butter. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees for glass baking pans, 375 degrees for metal.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Loaf will sound hollow when lightly tapped. If bread becomes too brown, cover with foil for final 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best (Savory) Yeast Bread
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.