If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite bar snacks is Wasabi peas. The addictive sweetness drives you to quickly eat more but the wasabi burn forces you to slow down and savor – it's truly the biggest tease of the snack world. This simple recipe uses the same flavor combination in a much more elegant and substantial dish. —SunilK
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Albarino, plus extra for the puree
- 6 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas (about 10 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- olive oil
- Whisk together soy sauce, wine, sesame oil and pour over shrimp to cover in a glass bowl or large freezer bag. Marinate in the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes turning occasionally.
- Cook peas in boiling salted water for a few minutes till done. Drain and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Frozen peas can, alternatively, be cooked in the microwave according to the package directions. Drain the cooked peas well.
- Puree the peas in a blender or food processor using a little white wine for liquid as needed (a hand held immersion blender can also be used). Add wasabi powder to the puree and blend to incorporate. Reheat puree in a small pan adding salt and wasabi powder to taste, if needed.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade.?
- Place a large saute pan over medium high heat with 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil. When hot add the minced ginger and then add the shrimp. Saute till cooked through (opaque in the center), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- To serve as an entree: Place about a quarter of the puree on each plate and top with the shrimp. Serve with Green bean tempura as a side.
- To serve as an hors d'oeuvre: Fill a small dipping bowl with the Wasabi Pea puree and place on a serving plate surrounded by the cooked shrimp. ?
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Spring Peas
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.