If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wrote this recipe when I was having a down day. Simmering the stock all day lifted my spirits. - OB Cookie —OB Cookie
Food52 Review: No wonder this recipe cheered OB Cookie up on a rough day. The soup itself is a bowl of comfort -- thick, creamy, and full of tang, and (best of all) made mostly from things that are probably sitting in your fridge right now. But the simple bacon and scallion vinaigrette really brings the dish to life. You might be skeptical, as we were, about not including some of the bacon fat in the dressing, but trust us -- this keeps the whole thing bright and perky. Of course, for you gluttons out there, it's always an option. - A&M —The Editors
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 sprig rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 medium Russet potatoes (about 2 lbs.) peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 7 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pieces thick cut bacon
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt
- Add butter to large pot on medium high heat and melt
- Add carrot, onion, celery, garlic, rosemary and salt. Saute veggies until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stock. Cook on medium high until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes
- Turn off heat, add sour cream and puree in blender or with immersion blender
- To make vinaigrette, cook bacon until crispy on medium high heat. Drain fat onto paper town and chop into small pieces.
- To small bowl stir onions, bacon, vinegar, salt. Add oil and put 1 tbsp of vinaigrette on top of each bowl of soup.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.