Author Notes: This caramel corn is amazing; salty, sweet, and spicy. I think that cayenne pepper is a welcomed addition because the spice is the only thing that slowed me down so I didn’t eat all of it before my fiancé even got home. The caramel corn is easy to make, but does require a candy thermometer to heat up the syrup to the right temperature (the soft-ball stage). - OB Cookie
Serves about 5 cups
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons very soft unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Over medium heat in heavy bottomed pot/pan, pop corn shaking occasionally with lid slightly cracked until most kernels popped.
- In heavy bottomed sauce pan, over medium heat, mix sugars, salt, cinnamon, pepper and water and bring to a boil.
- Boil, stirring frequently, until candy mixture reaches 240 degrees or the soft-ball stage.
- Turn off heat, and whisk in butter.
- Add popcorn to saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Add corn to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stir and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool (if you can wait) and enjoy!