If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Mom, Dassano Davis is a fabulous cook, in fact she's a chef. She went back to school at 55 after her 3rd husband died and became a certifed chef, she was a private chef for few years in the Hamptons and is now in massage therapist school.She's led a fascinating life, full of adventures. One of the things she's taught me about food and cooking is how to make great food no matter what you have in the fridge or for that matter in the bank, we never really knew that we had no money, especially at dinner time. This is not one of her "Chef: recipes, in fact she'll probably be mad I didn't submit her roast duck. But this is something I remember eating as a child and cooking in my early 20's. End of the Month Pasta ( it did showed up quite often during the vegetarian years) is super inexpensive, tasty, fast, relatively healthy. They key is to caramelize the veg to bring out all the natural sweetness (the honey helps), and to add LOTS of ground pepper...red peppers & broccoli are good add ins. - Aliwaks
Serves 4 w/ leftovers
- 1 box spagetti
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 2 cups green cabbage (jullienned)
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 cup Tamari (10 packets, chinese takeout soy sauce-in a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 scallions (optional), sliced thinly on bias (optional)
- lots of Fresh ground pepper
- 1" fresh ginger, finely chopped
- Heat oil in large saute pan or wok, add onions, season with salt & pepper, soften over medium low heat, set pot of salted water to boil for pasta
- When onions are softened add garlic, ginger,carrots & cabbage,season generously with pepper & moderately with salt stir occasionally
- Whisk together honey & tamari, add to vegetables, the vegetables should be getting soft and caramelized
- Cook the pasta to al dente, drain and reserve @ 1/2 cup pasta water
- Add pasta to veg, add pasta water and saute until liquid has reduced
- toss with sesame seeds and scallions...serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.