If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rhubarb soup is a traditional way of preparing rhubarb in Norway. I think the simple name belies how delicious it is. My recipe is inspired by a neighbor's recipe that we eat at our Norwegian Independence day party. The addition of wine instead of just water is inspired by a recipe from the Norwegian food writer Andreas Viestad. Rhubarb soup is best served cold or at room temperature and generously topped with sweetened vanilla flavored whipped cream. I also sometimes like to add some cubes of pound cake! - fiveandspice - fiveandspice
Food52 Review: This is a great example of how easy and fast fruit soups are to throw together for a refreshing summer dessert. This one has a nice creamy texture and is loaded with tart and sweet rhubarb flavor. I used honey which added a nice layer of flavor. The whipped cream on top adds a touch of decadence. - Stephanie - The Editors
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar or honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine (a light fruity variety such as pinot grigio)
- 4-5 cardamom pods lightly crushed, or 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, washed and sliced (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream for serving
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in about 1/4 cup warm water
- In a medium pot, bring the rhubarb, sugar/honey, water, wine, cardamom, vanilla, and strawberries (if using) to a boil.
- Lower the heat very low and simmer until the rhubarb is soft and falling apart, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cardamom pods (if using ground cardamom then just continue). Turn the heat up to medium, and stir in the dissolved cornstarch. Stir until the soup thickens, 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature, or chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve in bowls, generously topped with sweetened whipped cream. If desired, you can also put cubes of pound cake in the bottoms of the bowl and spoon the soup over them.
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce