If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is an upscale BBQ joint in downtown Austin (I know, sounds like an oxymoron) that has these smoked chickpeas on their happy hour bar menu. Since I neither want to wait til we get back there to have them again, nor do I wish to become a barfly, I decided to create my own version. I don't have a 24 hour smoke pit going so I do mine this way - plus it is less expensive to cook at home - the only slightly spendy item here is the cheese, and you use just a little ...
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (I make my own from dried and I think they are a lot better than canned ... but you can use canned in a pinch)
- 1/2 red onion - sliced into "half rainbows"
- 2 packets achiote seasoning (Sazon Goya is pretty easy to find)
- 1 dried ancho pepper - seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 cherry tomatoes - halved
- 2 ounces chevre cheese
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- and handful of combined fresh cilantro and parsley - washed and chopped
- Heat the oil to pretty hot. I use a non-stick wok ... it works great. When the oil is hot, cook the onions for a few minutes until they start to crisp up a little, then add the chopped dried chilis, chick peas, and achiote. Cook and toss on high heat until the chick peas crisp up a little as well.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and toss for just a minute or so until they are heated. Add the chevre in little chunks and toss gently (you don't want it to dissipate too much). Turn off the heat and, add the herbs and lemon, and toss them in just to mix in.
- Serve with some grilled flatbread and a salad and there's dinner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.