Author Notes: This recipe takes the humble crumble and turns it into a decadent and rich dessert. I can't remember where I originally saw it but it has evolved over the years into its current incarnation. Enjoy! - alovess
- 200 grams hazelnuts, skins removed, toasted
- 75 grams castor sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 75 grams unsalted butter
- 50 grams 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 800 grams rhubarb, washed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 100 grams castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons dessert wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest of 1 orange
- Place rhubarb, 100 grams castor sugar, dessert wine, cinnamon, and orange zest in a medium ceramic dish. Cover with foil and place in 180 degree celcius oven for 30 mins.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for 10 mins.
- Break up rhubard with a fork.
- Place hazelnuts, butter, 75 grams castor sugar, and flour in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in chocolate.
- Spoon crumble mixture over rhubarb and bake for 15 mins until golden.
- Serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream or thick cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Rhubarb