If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Somewhere between a traditional cobbler and a pie, this recipe is now legendary in my family, even though I stole it from a former flame's Southern belle mother. Still warm from the oven, topped with softly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, nothing says "summer's coming" better than this. (It's also great for breakfast if there's any left!) - gluttonforlife - gluttonforlife
Food52 Review: This is basically a pie without a bottom crust. The pastry is super flaky and delicate and rolled out much easier than I expected. It is very wet when just made but firms up after chilling in the fridge. This is a great way to showcase rhubarb, which pairs well with sweeter strawberries. - Emily - A&M
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup leaf lard or Crisco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/3 cups half & half
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups halved ripe strawberries
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- 1-2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in lard or shortening with a fork or 2 knives until crumbly. Sprinkle in half & half until dough comes together. Roll into a ball and cover with saran or wax paper. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Toss rhubarb and strawberries with lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour and salt and add to fruit. Stir well to coat. Let sit while dough chills.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. It needs to be big enough to cover the top of a 9x13 pan (or equivalent).
- Place fruit mixture in pan, dot all over with butter and lay dough on top, crimping edges to sides.
- Make some decorative slits in dough with a knife, or poke some holes with a fork. Beat egg yolk and half & half together, then brush over the dough. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, the reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.