If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What to do with over-ripe strawberries and bananas? Well, you could mash them up into yogurt, or you could turn them into a healthy bread for breakfast. I was inspired by recipes for yogurt pound cake and for the bran muffins I make regularly--and I think this was a success--it's moist and airy but not too sweet and chock full of good for you--strawberries, bananas, nuts, bran, wheat, oats. —drbabs
Serves 2 loaves
- butter and flour for pans
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1 cup ripe strawberries, pureed or mashed well
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup un bleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups toasted walnuts and/or pecans, rough chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 standard loaf pans.
- Mix mashed bananas and strawberries in a large bowl with honey, yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, zest and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together the flours, oats, bran, baking powder and salt. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix till just combined.
- Fold nuts into batter (if using). Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. Place pans on baking sheet in center of oven and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool in pans on rack for 5-10 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen bread. Turn bread out onto rack. Turn bread upright on rack and cool completely.
- Have a great breakfast!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.