Author Notes: Inspired by a roasted rhubarb recipe I found in the book Italian Two Easy by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers, this is a minimally sweetened preparation of rhubarb with lovely flavor. Gray and Rogers bake theirs with vanilla, orange and sugar...I went with maple syrup and rum and added lots of spices. You can serve this alone, over yogurt or ice cream, or with (ginger spiked?) whipped cream. - WinnieAb
- 8-10 stalks of rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into 1-2 inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Arrange rhubarb pieces in a baking dish (I used a round deep dish pie plate).
- In a small bowl, combine rum, maple syrup, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Drizzle over the rhubarb, and then add the cardamom, cinnamon sticks, and star anise to the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and roast for 15-20 minutes. Discard the cardamom, cinnamon sticks and star anise before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Rhubarb