If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Food52 Review: As a general rule, I prefer to cook with recipes that use measurements that I understand. But once in a while, instead of a teaspoon of this or a half cup of that, one has to be content with the allocation of “some.” Though this recipe is written in grams, I added “some” chili powder, “some” turmeric, “some” black pepper, the juice of a small lime and some very finely chopped ginger and garlic smashed together to form a paste. I salted my cod a bit, rubbed it with the spice mix and tossed it all in a Ziploc bag for about 30 minutes. Maybe you will choose to marinate it longer; but that was my interpretation of “some” time. Then came the revelation: rice flour. Who knew? The incredibly light fry that this flour makes, the way it refuses to stick to the pan, the lovely gold it turned this fish -– seeing this was worth all my worrying. I cooked my cod about 4 minutes a side –- you can cut into it and make sure you are not overcooking. - Jenny —Jestei
- 4 fillets of fish (any fish, but firm, flaky white fish like grouper, fluke, U.S. farm-raised catfish or tilapia work well)
- 10gm Chilli powder
- 3gm Turmeric
- 5gm Black pepper
- ½ tsp Ginger garlic paste (or equal parts grated ginger & garlic)
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Rice flour to coat
- Oil for shallow frying (something neutral with a high smoke point, like canola or grapeseed)
- Clean, cut and wash the fish. Prepare a thick paste with all remaining ingredients (besides the rice flour and oil) and apply it to the fish. Keep it aside for some time.
- Coat the rice flour into the marinated fish, shallow fry in oil and remove.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Unpredictable, Hard to Find & Worth the Fuss
These chiles just might Hatch an idea
Hatch chiles are worth the fuss.
Our favorite food reads.
We've got the summer blues.
Our haikus about gin.
A better basket.