If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: As soon as spring comes and my veggie patch comes alive, my first daughter starts skipping and hopping with delight because mint and lemon melisse are back in full swing. This means she can top her 'dessert' as she calls it with green, fragrant leaves. This is the inspiration for this dessert pizza, set on a crumbly sweet pizza base (recipe for the base adapted from the little guides to Pizza by adding vanilla and salt), topped with light lemony cream and finished off with strawberry pieces and lemon melisse. You can make the individual elements beforehand, and assemble at the last minute. - Kitchen Butterfly
Strawberry n Melisse Pizza
- 1 baked sweet pizza dough (recipe below)
- 50ml 'whipping' cream
- 1 tablespoon(s) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon(s) creme fraiche, stirred to loosen
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon curd
- 4 - 6 strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 3 large mint or melisse leaves, chiffonaded
- Whip your cream on high speed with the caster sugar and vanilla extract till it thickens and holds soft peaks. Then gently fold in the creme fraiche and lemon curd.
- Set the sweet pizza base on a serving platter and spread the cream on, leaving a 1cm rim bare.
- Top with the strawberries and sprinkle on the melisse or mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Sweet pizza dough
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/2 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Put flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter and add the egg yolk and orange juice mixture. Gently bring together till you have a soft but cohesive dough, sprinkling flour by the teaspoonful till you reach a pastry consistency
- Wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Roll pastry out into a 12 - 15cm circle and place on a buttered pizza pan or a cookie sheet.
- Crimp edges and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 15 - 20 or until golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pizza