Author Notes: This recipe was created for an Asian-themed dinner party. The goal was to create a dish that could be put together quickly, looked beautiful and taste delicious. It has quickly become my "go to" recipe for both entertaining and week-night meals. The Vinaigrette could be used on almost anything....chicken, vegetables, salad,etc. Serve this with some steamed brown or white rice. You may want to make extra salmon to combine with the leftover rice and Vinaigrette for a delicious salad. If you don't care for Chili garlic sauce or cilantro you may leave them out. Basil could be substituted for the cilantro. - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
Food52 Review: This is an ideal dinner for those summer nights when all you want to do is grill fish and eat peak-season tomatoes and cucumbers. The vinaigrette is tasty and dynamic -- sweet, spicy, zesty and nutty -- and the tomatoes fit right in, turning it into a Chinese salsa of sorts. The hoisin glaze adds a mellow sweetness to the grilled salmon that echoes the hoisin in the dressing. Note: 1 tablespoon of honey gave the vinaigrette the perfect amount of sweetness. - Kristen - A&M
- 2 pounds Salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce(optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro(optional)
- 2 cucumbers- thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- Cut the salmon into 4 portions and season with salt & pepper. Heat grill to medium-high.
- Mix 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce with 1 Tbs. water. Set aside to use as glaze for the salmon
- Combine ginger,tomato,honey,rice vinegar,soy sauce, oil, sesame oil, 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce and optional chili sauce and cilantro in a bowl. Mix well and let stand while the salmon is cooking.
- In another small bowl, toss sliced cucumbers with salt, pepper and a dash of rice vinegar.
- Depending on thickness, grill salmon about 5 minutes per side, glazing with Hoisin glaze before turning. Glaze the top of the salmon when turned.
- To serve: In the center of the plate arrange some of the marinated cucumbers. Place salmon on top of the cucumbers. Spoon the vinaigrette over and around the salmon.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salmon