If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love to prepare this recipe in late summer/early autumn when an abundance of pumpkins, apples and pears appear on local farm stands and at farmers' markets. The compote works well as a condiment with roast turkey, chicken, game, and slow cooked meats. I like to use a few varieties of pears (seckel, comice, anjou, bosc, bartlett, seckel) and apples (honey crisp, pippin, baldwin, macoun, mackintosh, winesap, jonagold). Sometimes I add dried cherries, dried apple rings, and prunes to the mix. Feel free to add what you like to the compote. The quantity of apples and pears you need for this recipe depends upon the capacity of your pumpkin. —Leslie_
- 1 medium to large pumpkin
- prune plums
- raisins (organic flame)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1-2 handfuls dried apricots
- 1-2 handfuls dried figs
- 1-2 handfuls walnuts &/or pecans
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup apple cider
- cinammon (sticks or ground)
- ground cloves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and set aside. Hollow out the seeds and scrape inside of pumpkin clean.
- Peel apples and pears, remove seeds and cut into slices. Remove pits from prune plums. Put fruit in a large bowl.
- Add juice of 1/2 lemon and cut remaining half into thin slices and add to fruit.
- Slice orange into thin slices and add to fruit.
- Add chopped, dried fruits, nuts, raisins and spices to taste.
- Add about 1/2 cup maple syrup, the orange juice and apple cider to the fruit and nut mixture and mix.
- Fill hollowed out pumpkin and replace the reserved top with the stem. Put pumpkin on a baking sheet (or roasting pan) lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake 6-7 hours in a pre-heated 250 degree oven, adding more liquid as needed.
- Turn off oven but leave the pumpkin inside to cool to room temperature. Hint: You can put the pumpkin in the oven to cook in the afternoon and leave it in the oven overnight.
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.