If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I never knew what all the fuss was about with lobster mac n cheese... until I tried making a version myself! I was not disappointed and am now on the band wagon! —mtlabor
- 12 ounces lobster meat, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pint heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- Gruyere cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil under medium high heat. Add about 1/2 of the lobster meat. Saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften.
- Deglaze pan with brandy and (if using a gas stove) slowly tip pan away from you to allow for whiskey to catch fire. Alternatively (if you don't want to risk it, or if you have an electric stove), you can light a match and carefully light on fire. Allow alcohol to extinguish on it's own and then add wine. Reduce for about 5 minutes or so.
- Add tomato paste and hand crush the whole tomatoes. Cook for about 3-5 minutes longer. Add in heavy cream, thyme, parsley, tarragon, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaf after cooling period is done.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until you get a smooth texture of the lobster cream. I like a little bit of chunk in there so mine was not entirely silky smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the macaroni to al dente in a pot of salted boiling water. Drain and return to pot. Add remaining lobster meat and lobster cream. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Pour mixture into large glass baking dish. Grate enough of the Gruyere cheese to form an even layer for the topping. Broil in oven until cheese is nice and browned. Serve immediately!
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).