If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Miami might have their famous Medianoche sandwich--the delicious Cuban concoction filled with pork, ham, swiss, mustard, and pickles, then pressed until thin and melty... but Seattle has the Midnight Cuban Press from Paseo. Nothing like your traditional Cuban sandwich, Paseo's Midnight Cuban Press is a legend in its own right: succulent roast pork, smoky ham, melty swiss, unbelievable caramelized onions, sweet banana peppers, garlicky aioli, and bright, fresh cilantro. My easy version of the Paseo sandwich includes leftover roast pork (like Kayb's Caribbean Roast Pork), deli ham, swiss cheese, honey caramelized onions, garlic-yogurt spread, and cilantro on a french baguette, pressed to messy, delicious perfection. —Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 small-medium sweet onion- sliced in rings
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large garlic clove- pressed
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- pinch of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups pulled pork (like Kayb's Caribbean Roast Pork)
- 4 thin slices of smoked deli ham
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 French baguette- halved lengthwise and cut in 2 portions
- handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper
- For caramelized onions: in a skillet, heat EVOO and butter over medium heat. Add onions and slowly caramelize until golden. Take off of heat, and add in honey and a pinch of salt.
- For garlic-yogurt spread: whisk together pressed garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, and a pinch of salt.
- For sandwiches: On each baguette half, slather on garlic spread, and layer pork, ham, swiss, onions, and cilantro. Top with other baguette half. Heat big skillet over medium. Place sandwiches in skillet, and press (I press w/a heavy cast iron skillet) for a few minutes on each side, until cheese is melty.
- Grab a bunch of napkins, a cold, minty mojito, and dig in!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pork Sandwich
Yes, You (Beer) Can
The trials, tribulations, and success of a tricky chicken
The invincible beer can chicken.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.