Author Notes: I adapted this recipe for the Food52 Central Park potluck picnic from an old French recipe that I found a while ago. I add chipotle pepper to the chicken broth (as in my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth) and I finish the dish with fresh lobster and scallions. - lechef
Serves 6-8 as a starter
- 4 avocados
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small dried chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 6-8 ounces fresh lobster (or crab) meat, chilled
- 4 scallions, greens only, chopped
- salt and pepper
- If using chicken boullon or canned chicken stock, add 1 cup of water to 2 cups of broth, and simmer with the chipotle pepper until reduced back to 2 cups. Or use my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth recipe and make lots of broth! The chipotle is of course optional, but I like the heat and smokiness that it provides. Chill the stock.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop out into a blender. Add the juice of the 1/2 lemon and the cream, and blend. Add stock as needed to get the mixture flowing smoothly in the blender.
- Add the cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. If you like a little more acidity you can add more lemon juice as well.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into chilled bowls, and place appx 1 T of fresh lobster meat on each plate (a nice lump). Sprinkle with fresh scallions and finish with a turn of black pepper.