If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Since my family is from the South, pork is a staple in our homes. This sandwich is my update on a familiar recipe. - cookwithsusan - cookwithsusan
Food52 Review: As an ex-vegetarian, meat dishes intimidate me -- and that goes double for dishes with a list of ingredients as long as this one. However, I love pork sandwiches, citrus, and I just happen to have a brand new slow cooker so ... I tackled this recipe. Verdict? Well worth it. The pork itself is good enough to eat cold right out of a container in the fridge, so much so that the citrus salsa (while delicious) isn't even necessary. However, if you are going to pile it all together, don't skip the wasabi mayo -- surprising and delicious! - emmanation
- The Editors
- 2 3/4 to 3 pounds Fresh, boneless country-style ribs, 8 ribs total
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Citrus pepper
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 2.5 quart Electric slow cooker
- 2 Small white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Citrus pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Soy
- Citrus Salsa:
- 1 Large orange, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 Tangerine, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, and finely diced (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon Red onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Sandwich rolls:
- 8 Ciabatta rolls, split
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Softened butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Wasabi-flavored mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Citrus salsa
- Season ribs on both sides with 1/2-teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice 2 small white onions into thin slices. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for glaze in a small bowl.
- Combine all ingredients for Citrus Salsa in a small bowl, except parsley. Refrigerate while pork is cooking.
- Heat electric slow cooker casserole on high for 4 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon Olive oil to coat bottom of casserole. Spread one-half of onion slices in casserole.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1-teaspoon each: Olive oil and butter. Quickly sear ribs on each side, remove from heat and place 4 ribs on top of onion slices in slow cooker. Spoon one-half of glaze over the ribs in the slow cooker. Top with remaining 4 ribs, onion, and glaze. Cover. Cook 1 hour on high heat, reduce heat to "low" and cook for 4 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker and place on cutting board. Cover with foil and let rest for ten minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter Ciabatta buns and toast butter-side up in oven for 4-5 minutes until light brown.
- Using two forks, shred pork, discarding any visible fat.
- Add parsley to salsa and stir before topping on buns.
- Remove buns from oven. Spread each bun top with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Divide pork among eight buns. Top pork with a heaping tablespoon of Citrus Salsa. Place bun-top on each sandwich. Slice sandwich in half.
- Serve with dill pickles and sweet potato salad as sides.
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.