If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I lived in Portland, Oregon, I had a roommate who had an uncle who owned a cherry farm at The Dalles which is located along the Columbia River. We drove over one day and spent many hours up on ladders picking cherries. After we brought our bounty home we proceeded to pit them (we really had a LOT of cherries!) So, we recruited friends to help. One of her friends came by to pit cherries and drink wine. That was the first time that I met my future husband, Freddy. I make this recipe every year, nostalgic of that meeting...and, it is also a great recipe! (we have been married almost 32 years) —dymnyno
Serves about 3 cups
- 1/2 pound apricots, pitted and diced
- 1 pound dark red cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or dried cherries for a very intense cherry flavor
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a heavy pot on medium heat, cook the cherries with the sugar.
- As the cherries start to break up, add the diced apricots, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and onion. Stir to combine. If the mix is too thick add a little water. Cook until the fruit breaks down and the onions are cooked.(about 10 minutes)
- Add the curry powder , red pepper flakes and the slivered almonds.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Cool the chutney and serve.
- NOTE: this recipe can be made in larger amounts and canned and processed for your pantry.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Meet beaver tails.
Get your shine on.