If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: That cherry almost rhymes with peach in German makes this fun to say. This is a slightly more traditional version of a "bowle," great for summer, no cooking required. I am fondly remembering my very first visit to Germany when I first discovered this summer tradition. For contrast one photo shows the ingredients when first assembled in a serving glass, while another shows the ripe "bowle" 12 hours later ready to savor, and another 12 hours after that. But I suggest keeping the "bowle" in a large bowl altogether before making any individual servings though, so everything co-mingles equally. What a wonderful reason for a summer evening fête! —Sagegreen
- 1 bottle (750 ml) white or rosé wine (I prefer a dry riesling for this)
- 1 1/2 pounds Rainier yellow cherries
- 3 large white peaches, peeled (or not) and sliced
- wedge of lemon, Meyer if available
- 1/8-1.4 cups organic cane sugar, to taste
- splash of Campari, optional
- garnish with a lavender or lemon verbena sprig, optional
- Pit and halve the cherries (kirsch).
- Add the peeled (or unpeeled) and sliced white peaches (pfirsich). Spritz with lemon (this brightens and highlights the fresh fruit flavor). You could substitute yellow peaches if white is not available, or mix together white and yellow
- Cover with the sugar and let stand an hour room temperature.You want at least a few tablespoons of sugar to develop the flavor further. Add a splash of Campari for more depth if you like.
- Chill for several hours (from 8-24).
- Add lots of fruit to a wide-brimmed glass and some wine.
- Garnish with an herbal sprig, if you like.
- The fruit becomes delightfully boozy: Celebrate the "bowle" tradition. Zum Wohl. Prost. Cheers, to the onset (or outset) of summer!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.