Author Notes: My dream is to serve this at my wedding, instead of wedding cake, because (1) wedding cake is terrible and (2) I want people to ask what this is, and I want to say "It's a wedding fool." - slulibby - slulibby
Food52 Review: Slulibby is certainly no fool when it comes to crafting her own version of this traditional British dessert: an ethereal cloud of cream shot through with cherry and almond. She allows the sweet, juicy cherries to shine by doing very little to them; a touch of sugar, lemon juice and almond extract, followed by a quick simmer, render them lightly syrupy and soft without turning them to mush. Once the fruit has cooled, she folds it – just barely! – into freshly whipped cream, lightly kissed with brown sugar and vanilla. The crowning glory: crystalline shards of brittle made with sliced almonds and honey. – A&M - A&M
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
Cherry Brown Sugar Fool
- 1 cup pitted fresh sweet cherries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat (e.g. Silpat).
- In a small bowl, coat nuts with honey. Spread nuts on the baking mat. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until golden. Transfer nuts to a bowl to cool. Coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries, lemon juice, almond extract, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cherriess begin to break down and juices boil and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice water, and stir mixture occasionally until cold.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream, brown sugar, and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form; fold in 1/3 cup of the cherry sauce. Combine, but not fully -- there should be beautiful cherry streaks running through the fresh cream.
- Divide among four dessert dishes, and spoon remaining cherries over tops. Garnish with the honey almonds.
- Your Best Recipe for Cherries Contest Winner!