If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To me, cherries and almonds is one of those matches made in heaven. —cheese1227
Serves 4 to 6
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond meal/flour
- 3 whole, large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cups of whole milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pound of sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon turbonado sugar (if your cherries are VERY sweet, you can half this amount of sugar).
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the almonds on a sheet tray lined with parchment and toast until slightly golden (about 2-3 minutes) Remove the almonds from the oven and put them in a small bowl and coat them with the egg white. Drain the nuts and coat them in the sugar. Lay them out on the sheet tray lined with parchment and put them back into the oven until the sugar coating is try and slightly golden (another 2-3 minutes, but watch closely as they will burn quickly). Remove from the oven let cool completely.
- Mix flours, eggs, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, milk, yogurt and extracts in a food processor until it is a smooth batter. That should take less than a minute. You don’t want to over mix this batter as it can get tough. Set the batter aside.
- In a 8-inch cast iron skillet melt the butter and put the cherries in to sauté slightly – only for about 2 minutes. Take the pan off the heat. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the cherries and pour the batter on top of the cherries. Place the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes until it puffs and is golden brown on the top.
- If you want to serve it hot, immediately dust it with powdered sugar and sprinkle some of the cooled candies almonds over the top. If you are saving it to serve at room temperature, hold off on the garnishes until just before you bring it to the table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.