If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Peppernut cookies are a great holiday treat. I first made these for Food52 this summer with fresh cherries as a theme. You can make these with cherries (dried or fresh), dried cranberries or any dried fruit you like. For thanksgiving and the holidays I think cranberries are great. I have also experimented with cocoa as a dusting. —Sagegreen
Serves 3-4 dozen
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 cup acacia honey
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 ounces dried premium cranberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 2 cups organic pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon anise
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder for another twist
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Mix the butter, honey and molasses together; add the egg; and then add all the sugar.
- Add the cranberries, fresh ginger, and brandy to the mix.
- Gradually sift in the flour mixed with the baking soda, salt, and all the dry spices, including the cocoa.
- Shape the dough into a large ball to refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325. Form tablespoon-sized balls from the cold dough and arrange on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet, allowing at least an inch and a half of space in between for 2" cookies. Make cherry-sized balls for a smaller version, which will cook more quickly. Bake 10-14 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a fine sieve, generously sift confectioner's sugar on top. If you dare, sift some unsweetened cocoa on a few as well as the confectioner's sugar. These are not for the faint- hearted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Off to market.