If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Melissa Clark's deconstructed Turkish dumplings, taking cues from traditional Arabic/Mediterranean flavors, this easy weeknight-worthy recipe is fresh and flavorful without being heavy. - TheThinChef
Serves 2 with leftovers
Herbed Beef + Eggplant Sandwiches
- 3 Japanese eggplants or 1 regular eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 flatbread sandwich wraps or pitas, warmed
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 450º. Toss eggplant with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a big pinch of salt; place on a large rimmed baking sheet, and roast for 12 minutes, or until eggplant is browned and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, breaking it apart with the spatula. Toss everything to combine, and cook until beef is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant to skillet, and toss. Add herbs and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper flakes, and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Spoon filling into bread, dollop with yogurt sauce and serve.