If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These quick poached eggs are so easy to make and even easier if you have just received an egg poacher from your husband as a 4th of July gift! The basil adds a nice floral flavor to the eggs and the little hit of lemon at the end makes the yolk sit up and sing....If you don't have an egg poacher, just poach eggs in water and a capfull of vinegar and remove with a slotted spoon.... —coffeefoodwritergirl
- 4 eggs (organic if possible)
- aprox. 6 basil leaves
- 1 capful white vinager (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter -- divided (I used goat but any kind is fine)
- a squeeze of lemon for each egg
- Chiffonade the basil leaves by stacking them one on top of the other, rolling them up like a cigar and slicing them into thin strips using a sharp knife.
- If you have an egg poacher, fill the bottom with water and put a little butter in the bottom of each cup. Put an egg in each cup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a few shreds of basil. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes until the white are firm and the yolks still runny. Remove to plates by running a knife or small spatula around the rim of each cup and flipping over.
- If you don't have an egg poacher fill a saucepan up about halfway with water, add the capfull of vinegar and cook over medium to medium high heat until whites are firm and yolks are still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon to plates.
- Drizzle with a little lemon. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper to taste and put a little more basil on each one. Enjoy with warm bread out of the oven to dip into that yummy egg-yolky center....
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
Food Blog Links We Love
Perfect picnic fare
Food blog links we love.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.