If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this recipe about 8-9 years ago when tomatoes and fresh basil were at the tops of their flavors. I was tired of the same old BLT and wanted to pump up the flavors. —bobzaguy
- 4 pieces thick-sliced bacon (Neuskie's is nice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 10-12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium ripe tomato, peeled and thick-sliced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 slices Italian style bread
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Fry bacon over medium low heat until evenly done, not too crisp. Season bacon slices with cracked black pepper as they crisp.
- Stack and roll 6 basil leaves into a cylinder and thinly slice (chiffonade) the basil. Add to mayonnaise in a small bowl and combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide and spread the basil mayo on both slices of bread. Divide and arrange 10-12 whole basil leaves on the 2 slices of bread. Arrange the sliced tomato on one slice and season tomatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Drain bacon slices on paper towels and place on top of the tomato. Top the bacon with the second bread slice with basil to make a sandwich.
- Slice in half and enjoy with a tall glass of iced lemon-limeade.
- Double the ingredients to make the number of sandwiches you need.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
Summer, Don't End
recipes that make the sunshine last a little longer
Summer, please don't go.
Stick it to 'em.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Recipe of the Day
Get your shine on.