Author Notes: A vegetarian/vegan salad of rich Christmas lima beans, fresh veggies, a zesty lime dressing, and a few handfuls of cooked whole-wheat couscous. It's a light, filling, healthy one-bowl meal. - TheThinChef
Serves 4 as a side dish, or 2 as dinner
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound Christmas lima beans, cooked and drained OR 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- In a medium bowl, combine the lime zest and juice. Whisk in olive oil, tasting as you go, until you get a dressing that you like. (We like ours on the very tangy side, but just keep tasting as you drizzle.) Add salt and a few grinds of pepper. Dice the avocado, and toss it in the dressing. Set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat, and then stir in the couscous. Remove from heat, cover, and let steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado and dressing, cucumber, red pepper, and beans. Toss gently to combine. Add the couscous, and toss to evenly coat everything with the dressing. Serve.