If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A vegetarian/vegan salad of rich Christmas lima beans, fresh veggies, a zesty lime dressing, and a few handfuls of cooked whole-wheat couscous. It's a light, filling, healthy one-bowl meal. —TheThinChef
Serves 4 as a side dish, or 2 as dinner
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound Christmas lima beans, cooked and drained OR 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- In a medium bowl, combine the lime zest and juice. Whisk in olive oil, tasting as you go, until you get a dressing that you like. (We like ours on the very tangy side, but just keep tasting as you drizzle.) Add salt and a few grinds of pepper. Dice the avocado, and toss it in the dressing. Set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat, and then stir in the couscous. Remove from heat, cover, and let steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado and dressing, cucumber, red pepper, and beans. Toss gently to combine. Add the couscous, and toss to evenly coat everything with the dressing. Serve.
More Great Recipes: Salads