If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had big plans to make a lemon yogurt cake (inspired by the wonderful Molly Wizenberg's Orangette blog) for a small dinner party. I started my day at the Farmers' Market and there bought bought the most gorgeously fresh, huge bunch of basil and racked my brain for all the dishes in which to use it. Thus, I thought adding it to the cake may be a little different. I cut some of the sugar, skipped the frosting, added basil and substituted olive oil. Voila - it was a hit! - austinfoodscout
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- tablespoons 1-2 T fresh basil, thinly sliced
- freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain, whole milk yogurt - stirred
- scant 1 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil (may use 1/4 C regular and 1/4 C basil olive oil if available)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, stirred
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt. Add lemon zest and basil and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar and eggs, stirring to mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just to combine.
- Add the oil and stir well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Remove the cake (after the 15 minutes) and place on a cake rack. Using a toothpick or cake tester, poke several tiny holes in the top of the cake. Using a pastry brush, slowly brush all syrup over the cake.
- Allow to cool completely. Serve with one basil leaf a top each slice and a dollop of creme fraiche.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake
Looked for salad, ended up with cake: Life in a nutshell.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.