If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by a dish I had several years ago at an Italian restaurant, this recipe is so tasty and satisfying. And it’s very versatile – it could easily be served as an entrée or appetizer. I leave the tails on my shrimp – much prettier on the plate, I think. —mrslarkin
Serves 4 or more
- 1 pound large shrimp, cleaned and deveined, shells removed, tails left on
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- grated zest of 1 whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (one) 15 ounce can small white beans, navy beans or great northern beans
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery or fennel bulb, finely diced
- fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons, about 3 fluffy tablespoons-full (set aside a few pinches for the shrimp)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper, lemon zest and a few pinches of the basil ribbons. Heat pan to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil begins sizzling, add shrimp and cook until pink and just beginning to brown slightly. When shrimp are done, remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain and rinse beans. Combine with diced veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the remaining basil ribbons.
- Whisk together 1/3 cup olive oil and the vinegar and add to veggie mixture. Mix well. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Spoon the bean salad onto a platter. Lay cooked shrimp over top. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Garnish with additional basil (and some snipped fennel fronds, if using.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
The Spice is Right
Recipes that put a dent in that za'atar stash
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
The knots you should know.
Have a ball (jar).