If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an old family recipe. Always looked forward to the summer months when basil grew like crazy. This sauce is not cooked and served cold over hot spaghetti, don't know why but spaghetti seems to be the best pasta with this sauce. This sauce should be made at least 1 day in advance so flavors can better marry together. I recently found this sauce also makes a wonderful pizza sauce. Wonderful home cooked dish for a quick supper, served with a salad, after a hard days work or play. Please enjoy. - Roxanne DeRosa - Roxanne DeRosa
Food52 Review: Almost as easy as opening a jar of premade sauce, but much more delicious and versatile. I used a 750 ml box of Pomi crushed tomatoes and cut the rest of the ingredients to 1/3 (1 cup basil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 TB olive oil), and that seemed about right. For the garlic; I smashed 2 cloves and let them sit in the sauce overnight, then fished them out the next day -- this gave the sauce a garlic essence without overpowering it. However, raw garlic lovers could just mince up the cloves and keep them in the sauce. It certainly was nice to put everything together the night before and not heat up the kitchen. - drbabs
- 1 #10 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups packed fresh basil
- 7 cloves garlic or more
- 1/3 cup extra vigin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Use a food processor to finely chop basil or it can be done by hand. In a large bowl empty the canned tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix these ingredients together and refrigerate over night. When you're ready to use, remove from the refrigerator and add oil, stir well. In the meantime, cook the pasta al dente, drain and add the sauce. The hot pasta will warm the cold sauce. No cheese please...it's not needed. This recipe makes enough to make 2 complete dinners, or keep remaining sauce in the fridge for your pizza's.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil