If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was terrified of swordfish when I was a little girl, I'd never really seen one but I was sure that they lived in the East River and could saw through the Midtown Tunnel, so they could poke us with their swords. I had a very active imagination as a child. On a more culinary note I have been obsessed with my NoCal cookbooks, (it happens every summer), I've looked through Jeremiah Towers Cooks and Platter of figs about 50 times...and there's a recipe in Platter of Figs for this wonderful Yellow Dinner...which brought my mind to Indian spiced fish, which then traveled over the half jar of tandoori paste I have in my fridge...and so on. So I've have been mulling over this recipe for a few days, and then much to my dismay they made some thing similar on Next Food Network Star. -pouty face- anyway I love tacos, I love tandoori spices and meaty swordfish is perfect perfect for this! I have two sauces, a fresh yellow tomato/peach "chutney" and a spicy green yogurt. - Aliwaks —Aliwaks
Fresh Yellow Chutney
- 1 cup peeled, diced, seeded, yellow tomato
- 1 cup peeled, diced peach
- 2 T veg oil
- 3 T cider vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 T tamarind puree or pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup yellow raisins, soaked in hot water to plump.
- 2 T minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 T black mustard seeds
- ½ T coriander seeds
- 1 T cumin, ground
- 1 , diced jalepeño pepper
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed
- Place tomatoes & peaches in a non-reactive bowl Salt generously.
- Saute ginger, jalapeño, raisins and garlic in 1 T oil till soft.
- Whisk in honey, tamarind (or pom. molasses) & vinegar, pour over tomato/peaches
- Add 2nd T of oil to pan and add mustard seed, coriander, cumin & cardamom, Saute until mustard seeds POP
- Add spices to tomato/peaches Let sit awhile, so the flavors meld, can be done a day ahead
Tandoori Swordfish & Yogurt Sauce
- 1.5 pounds sword fish steaks
- 4 T tandoori paste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 T grated ginger
- YOGHURT SAUCE
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- ½ cup cilantro, stems & leaves
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 minced, seeded, deviened serrano
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1 C seedless (or seeded) cucumber, peeled diced ½ cup sliced radishes ½ cup shredded cabbage ¼ C red onion minced, sliced fresh hot peppers
- ¼ cup mint leaves lemon wedges
- 8 flour tortillas 2 T butter or Ghee
- Yoghurt Sauce: Blend the cup of yoghurt, cilantro, mint, garlic & serrano together till smooth & green, season to taste with lime/lemon, salt & pepper, if you want more heat, add another serrano or a hottter pepper, if you want less heat, use less pepper or omit entirely
- Whisk together Tandoori paste, (1/2 cup) yogurt, grated ginger
- Cut fish into large 2 -3” chunks Marinate sword fish an hour or two or up to 1 day
- Wipe off excess marinade, give a sprinkle of salt and a grind of pepper
- Skewer about 4 chunks per skewer, you should have 8 Skewers, 2 per person Grill on high heat 5 mins on 1 side ..3-4 on the other
- Assembly: Grill flour tortillas, the brush with butter Place a few swordfish chunks inside Add a good spoonful of “chutney” Drizzle with yoghurt sauce And sprinkle on cucumbers, red onion, radishes, bit of cabbage & fresh herbs, more hot peppers if that's your thing Add a squeeze of lemon
- Would be great with Fresh Melon or Mango Margaritas, maybe some coconut basmati rice or grilled sweet potato wedges brushed with lime juice & garam masala...wine wise I had this really lush juicy Albarino , CANA was the name it was really full of fruit, bursting with fruit actually, on that note a Trebianno would work too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Swordfish Recipe
Throw an Intimate Party for 30—Really!
A behind-the-scenes look at our genius dinner
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
13 essential cooking apps.
We've got the summer blues.
Paint your kitchen in one day.
A better basket.